- Bolts in Boss Clamps are designed to bend as they are tightened. This allows the clamp to conform to the hose outside diameter.
- Always tighten bolts to their specified torque value.
- Periodic re-tightening of bolts is required due to "cold flow" phenomenon present in all rubber hoses.
- Boss Clamps are for single use only! Once removed they are to be discarded.
- Recommended for steam service up to 450°F (232°C).
- 4-bolt type clamp with 2 gripping fingers and 2 clamp sections
- 4 Bolt Dixon Boss Clamp Bolt Tightening Sequence, Using a torque wrench, begin tightening the bolts as follows:
- A) Back bolt (bolt with nut facing assembler that is furthest away from gripping finger) 1 full turn.
- B) Front bolt (bolt with nut facing assembler that is closest to gripping finger) 1 full turn.
- C) Snug by hand (if bolts are loose) nuts on opposite side of bolts just torqued.
- D) Opposite side back bolt (bolt with nut facing assembler furthest away from gripping finger) 1 full turn.
- E) Opposite side front bolt (bolt with nut facing assembler closest to gripping finger) 1 full turn.
- F) Snug by hand (if bolts are loose) nuts on opposite side of bolts just torqued.
- G) Repeat above procedure "a" through "f" until all of the bolts have reached the recommended torque.
- H) Remove assembly from vise.
- The bolts used in the Boss interlocking clamps are not standard bolts. They vary from standard bolts in their length, diameter, overall thread length and material hardness. These bolts can be retorqued, but it is not recommended that the bolts or clamps be reused, as they are designed for a single bend only. Dixon Recommends using only factory supplied replacement bolts. Replacement nuts and bolts are available, contact Dixon for more information.
- Torque values for clamps are based on dry bolts. The use of lubricant on bolts will adversely effect clamp performance. Do not lubricate nuts and bolts. Recommended torque rating in ft. lbs.
- Worn-out hose couplings can be dangerous. They should be checked regularly and replace when necessary. Each coupling user should review applications and add safety devices where indicated.
- Note. Pressurized steam is an extremely dangerous commodity. Only hose, fittings, clamps and accessory items that have been approved for steam service should ever be used! Never use an unapproved item for steam service. Always follow the manufacturer's product recommendations for pressurized steam handling.